Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A wonderous trip to the OR



The day we had been waiting
for was finally here . . .


BIRTHDAY FOR 3

Oh-Boy!

Oh-Girl!


Oh-Girl!


Oh-My!


The time, money, and the years of waiting had finally paid off, 3x
Our 3 babinos are almost here.

I was taken into the operating room, camcorder in hand, just in time to see a wisp of smoke rising from the sheet that was hiding the surgeons hands. I started filming as I sat, then stood next to Mary Jo. We talked briefly as they were getting started, I was uncertain how she would react in the OR with her slight fear of the stark operating rooms, doctors offices, basically anything involving a hospital. She is one tough cookie though, she showed no fear, with her arms tethered for good measure by the staff.
What an experience, and it happened so fast. The first baby out was Kristina Ashley, the biggest girl, I was surprised to hear her scream as she entered room air, in all the movies a slap must be preformed to activate the scream response.
Another surprise was the fact that she looked so perfect after being sandwiched between the other two for so long. I assumed she would be somewhat twisted or distorted for a short time, not this one, perfect.
Baby number two (Nicole Brooke) was out in seconds with a screech like a wounded goose, this would be her pronounced battle cry as we would find out on the way home from the hospital in a few days.
Then it dawned on me, wait that's not Connor, what's going on, the boy was waiting his turn, the next in line as we saw on the ultrasounds. I knew from here on out he will always be know by his sisters as their little baby brother even only if by 1 minute.

The two babies were each taken out of the OR to an adjoining prep room. I tried to keep up with the recorder in tow. They asked me if I would like to cut the cords, I said absolutely, as I jumped right in and handed off the camcorder to the closest of the nurses. Wow this made it final, everything that just happened had sank in, that these little tykes are all ours, cool. I wanted to cut their cords as they were taken from the womb, but I figured the surgeons wouldn't go for that.
By the time I got back to the OR only a few minutes had pasted, oh-no I missed Connor coming out I thought to myself, Yea can you put that one back in I didn't get the shot, hmm this is one of those things better not said out loud.
I got some more video before being led out of the OR to the exclusive pass card NICU express elevator to the 4th floor. I felt like Willy Wonka in his glass elevator, instead of candy it was an incredible baby factory.
Kudos to the surgeons, specialists, and nurses - what excellent staff at Mercy, what a great experience.



No comments: